Maui Marriage License Information
What is the marriage license process like?
The marriage license process in Hawaii is very easy. You simply need to bring picture ids, a completed worksheet, and $70 in cash for the agent. The appointment itself takes about 15 minutes in total.
Do I need to go to the courthouse?
There is no need to go to the courthouse. We have 2 independent agents on Maui, one on the southside and one on the west side. Depending on where you are staying, we will schedule your appointment with the appropriate agent.
Do we need a witness?
You will not need a witness to sign with you. After the ceremony, you will each sign the worksheet provided by the agent in the presence of your officiant. Your officiant will then complete the application online and you will be able to view the license online as well.
Can I bring my own officiant?
Absolutely! We welcome you to bring you own officiant if you desire too. This will not affect the price of your package. Your officiant will need to be an ordained minister. Here is a link to become an ordained minister.
Once ordained or if your officiant is already ordained. They will need to register with the state of Hawaii before your wedding. We recommend your officiant register with the state as soon as you know you’re bringing him/her. Here is link for them to register with Hawaii.
Is my marriage legal everywhere?
Your Hawaii marriage is recognized as a legal commitment throughout the world. However, some countries do require an additional process called apostille. Below is a link to additional information and countries that do require this. When we make you marriage license appointment for you, please let us know if you are in need of this additional process, we will inform your marriage license agent and she will give you the additional forms and instructions for you to make this happen.
Does it matter when I request an appointment?
All license appointments need to be made before the actual ceremony, but no earlier than 30 days from the wedding date. If the appointment is made after the wedding ceremony, then the day of the appointment is considered your legal marriage date.
Additional Marriage License Info
WEBSITE ADDRESS FOR MAP AND LICENSE INFORMATION: https://emrs.ehawaii.gov PLEASE GO THROUGH THIS CONFIRMATION MESSAGE THOROUGHLY TO AVOID DELAY OF THE ISSUANCE OF YOUR MARRIAGE LICENSE. YOUR MARRIAGE LICENSE IS VALID FOR 30 DAYS ONCE YOUR LICENSE HAS BEEN ISSUED BY A MARRIAGE LICENSE AGENT.
REQUIRED ITEMS TO BRING TO APPOINTMENT:
1) One of the following forms of identification will be sufficient; Driver's license, passport or military ID. A birth certificate is only required if you are under the age of 19. There is additional information if an individual is under the age of 19, please refer to the State of Hawaii website for additional documentation needed to obtain a license.
2) COMPLETED unsigned application or authorization/locator code if applying online. The paper application is attached to this confirmation or you can apply online at https://emrs.ehawaii.gov. Either method of applying will suffice, as long as you complete one of the applications prior to the appointment.
3) You are required to bring your ORIGINAL, FILED, STAMPED divorce decree if you have been divorced within 30 days of the license appointment. The divorce decree must be stamped by the Court noting date of filing of the divorce decree. This stamped is commonly found on the right hand corner of the first page of your decree. The signature only from the judge will not suffice. It must be stamped, filed and recorded. If your divorce occurred outside of the United States, please contact me for more information.
4) Total cost of the license is $70 - Cash or credit card accepted for the license fee of $65. License Agent surcharge of $5 must be paid in cash.
5) Name of your officiant. If you are working with a wedding coordinator, please ask your coordinator for the name of the officiant. Officiants performing ceremonies in the State of Hawaii must be commissioned in order to perform the ceremony. If you have yet to choose an officiant, please make sure that they are properly registered and commissioned by the State. If an officiant who is not commissioned performs the ceremony, the marriage will not be valid.
Marriage License application pdf | View
Kihei: Cynthia Wolfe
Address: 2561 Omiko Place (Keonekai Estate) Kihei, HI 96753
Phone: 808-875-8459 Fax:808-879-0803 Hours: Mon-Fri 8am-5pm, Sat till noon
Payments: Cash or Traveler’s Check
Lahaina: Sherilynn Takushi
Address: 181 Lahainaluna Rd, Suite H, Lahaina, HI 96761
Phone: 808-385-6530, 808-276-6919
Hours: In Lahaina M-F 9am to 5pm
Saturdays by appointment only